As the main point in the Netherlands, LAPS, Research Institute for Art and Public Space, contributes to the development, disclosure and presentation of knowledge on art and public space. The research institute carries out research, on the one hand on fundamental questions and basic principles in regard to art, design and the public domain, and on the other hand on practical problems in relation to specific situations. LAPS, Research Institute for Art and Public Space works for commissioners that vary from public authorities to organizations and freelancers. The research institute also initiates its own research and disperses the results through symposia, lectures, debates, publications and exhibitions.
- 05.07.2022 EVENT: Hanging On – Artistic Research in, on and for the Public Domain Jeroen Boomgaard has led LAPS for 19 years of its existence and has established a strong foundation for artistic research at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie and Sandberg Instituut. For over 19 years he... Read more
- 05.07.2022 EVENT: Out of Place – Thursday 29 September 2022 4PM Professor Patricia de Vries will present her inaugural lecture at the start of the academic year 2022–2023. In this lecture, she will elaborate on the research area of LAPS, that will be expanded to ‘LAPS/The City’ in the coming... Read more
- 09.06.2022 EVENT: Dreaming about Post-Precarity – Tuesday 21 June 2022, 7PM In the government’s recovery plans for the cultural sector, special attention is paid to the 4,400 makers who graduated in the corona void. Where will they show their work in the coming years? Against the... Read more
- 09.05.2022 EVENT: Prepper Culture – Monday 23rd of May 4PM Preparing for unforeseen and uncertain times is as old as humankind. War, the pandemic, and the unfolding climate crisis have given new impetus to the phenomenon of prepper culture, from building bunkers, panic rooms,... Read more
- 05.04.2022 Patricia de Vries new Research Professor for LAPS The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is pleased to announce that a new Lector has been appointed for the Art & Public Space (LAPS)/The City lectorate. Patricia de Vries started in her new role on 1 February... Read more