Vacancy – Professor LAPS/The City
The Lectorate Art & Public Space/ The City of the Gerrit Rietveld Academie is looking for a:
Professor for 24hrs a week (0,6fte) (f/m/x)
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie (‘the academy’) is an independent university of applied sciences that houses the bachelor’s degree program in Fine Arts and Design with 14 different specializations. In addition, the academy offers five master’s degree programs and a varying number of temporary master’s degree programs; these are provided by the Sandberg Instituut.
The organization is characterized by an international and strongly decentralized identity with responsibilities and authorities close to the education itself. The academy has the ambition to equip students with research competences and -experiences that enable them to position themselves in society as reflecting and engaging artists/designers. Parallel to this, the academy’s research contributes to the advancement of expertise of the teachers, the actualization of the curricula and contributes to relevant developments in a changing society.
Lectorate Art & Public Space/ The City
The Lectoraat Art & Public Space (LAPS) plays a central role as a research unit and knowledge center that contributes to the development, disclosure and presentation of knowledge about art and public space. LAPS conducts research on fundamental questions and starting points with respect to art, design and the public domain.
An important aspect is research on practice-based issues in relation to specific social situations. LAPS works for and together with commissioners/clients that range from governments and companies, to art institutes and freelancers.
Next to that, LAPS also initiates research, and often does so in collaboration with other universities and institutes of higher education. The research results are widely publicized and disseminated through symposia, lectures, debates, publications, (on-site) art projects and exhibitions.
With the appointment of a new Professor the academy aims to continue LAPS’ achievements, but is also taking a new direction. The field of research of the Lectorate will expand into ‘The City’, focusing on the public domain as the key element of the functioning of ever-changing cities, in particular, the city of Amsterdam.
The research will be developed further in collaboration with relevant educational programs and other research units within the academy. Its aim is to stimulate and strengthen the part that art and design can play in societal changes and its surrounding discourse. This can take on many forms, such as contributing to advice committees, proposing interventions in urban planning, cultivating new ways of housing, reflecting on the impact of digitalization on e.g. wellbeing, expressing the necessity of new ways of co-existence. These interventions provide the opportunity to redefine the roles that art and design can play in cities, by showing how they transform the dynamic ecologies of people, architecture and nature.
Main tasks and responsibilities
As Professor you are responsible for the aforementioned continued development and reassessment, by initiating, developing and executing practice-based research in interaction with the professional practice in constant connection with education. Therefore, the Professor plays a pivotal role in these fields, and is fully supported by the board to further develop the research policy within the academy.
Please see this document for more details about the position description.
• You have a postgraduate qualification (PhD), relevant to the field;
• you are familiar with academic and practice-based artistic research;
• you are informed and aware of specific developments that are taking place in the research field of Dutch higher education, or you are able to acquire this knowledge, and you can contribute to these developments for the benefit of the academy;
• you are flexible, not only in regards to your range of tasks and your position, but also in your research ideas. A methodological literalist cannot contribute to the research development in the academy, art education and the art field;
• your disciplinary background is in academic and/or practice-based artistic research, in Humanities, anthropology, urban planning or urban studies;
• you are part of an international network which is (publicly) debating urban developments and societal consequences;
• you have strong organizational skills and can manage a team;
• you are living in the Netherlands or you are willing to live there;
• you are fluent/proficient in Dutch, or you are willing to learn the language.
Terms of employment
• The position is classified in job scale 15, according to cao-hbo and is dependent on the level of education and work experience;
• the position has good fringe benefits including an 8.3% year-end bonus, a very generous number of vacations, a pension plan and development opportunities;
• the Professor works closely with, and answers to the Executive Board. This is an appointment for 4 year with a trial period of 2 months.
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie strives for a broader representation of its staff, students, partners and programs that reflects the diversity of the city. Anyone who can contribute to this is expressly invited to respond.
Would you like more information and/or to apply?
This vacancy concerns an employment contract position. If you are a non-EU national, it is important that you have a residence permit for the Netherlands.
Applications, accompanied by a curriculum vitae, can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please contact Annelies van Eenennaam, Chair of the Executive Board at secretariaatCvB@rietveldacademie.nl.
The application period closes on 16 August 2021, 9 am.
The first interviews will be held on 30 or 31 August 2021. The second interviews are, if necessary, scheduled to take place before end of September 2021.
This vacancy is published simultaneously internally and externally. In case of equal suitability, internal candidates have priority over external candidates.
Acquisition is not appreciated.